WE BEEFED UP THE OLD STORE
In 1997, Jerry and Cynthia House made the trek from Houston to Dallas and stopped in the old Leona General Store for a couple of Diet Cokes.
The very first House family journey to Leona was in the 1870s when James David House moved his family to Leona’s Evans Chapel Community from Tennessee. Many Southerners left their Civil War ravaged states, seeking new beginnings in the West. John David House was such a person. Three of John’s sons, three of his grandsons, two of his great-great grandsons and one 3rd great-grandson were to become ordained Methodist ministers, including Dr. Jerry House.
Six generations of Houses have lived in Leona, so it was only fitting that when Jerry and Cynthia wandered in the old store, they took the “For Sale” sign and a couple of Diet Cokes to the counter.
Since 1921 the store sold basics and cold drinks. A dream of Jerry’s, the couple turned the store into a restaurant. In the beginning, they served hamburgers to family and friends.
There soon after, they decided to do only one thing, and one thing right.
Now, 20 years later, the Leona General Store serves hand-cut ribeye steaks, grilled chicken, and catfish to over five times the population every weekend.